October 29, 2009
Upward is a non-competitive sports league for the children ( SK – Grade 8 ) of our Muskoka community. Hundreds of kids participate in the different leagues each year at Faith. For all the info on the 2010 Upward Basketball league at Faith, follow this link.
We need your help as a volunteer!
Whether you have 5 minutes or 3 hours per week to volunteer, you can have a impact through Upward.
Here are some options for volunteering:
- Head Coach: Impact the lives of children and have fun while you volunteer as a head coach! Use your talents to teach sport fundamentals as well as the value of sportsmanship, teamwork, integrity and resect for authority. Never coached before? Don’t worry, Upward will provide you with all the resources necessary to teach the sport, share life lessons and coach your team. Time Commitment: 2 1/2 – 3 hours a week
- Assistant Coach: Make a difference in the lives of children by helping the head coach teach both athletic skills and values for success on and off the court. Use this time to see if you might want to be a head coach in the future. Time Commitment: 2 1/2 – 3 hours a week
- Cheerleading Coach: If you have lots of spirit and love cheering on teams while they play the games, our Upward league needs you! Make a lasting impact in the lives of children by volunteering to be a cheerleading coach. Time Commitment: 2 1/2 – 3 hours a week
- Referee: Did you play basketball growing up or have a great understanding of the rules of the game? If so, use this gift to make an impact in the lives of children as an Upward referee. Time Commitment: 1 hour a week
- Prayer Partner: Will you partner with us through prayer as we seek God in every aspect of our Upward league? We are in need of those who will be committed to praying each day for our Upward season to change lives. Time Commitment: 5 minutes a day for 100 days
- Advertising: Help spread the word about our league! Do you own a business or know of a place where we can distribute brochures in our community? Help us reach more children and families by making our league known to those in our community who would not hear about it at our church. Time Commitment: Will vary depending on advertising tactics
- Half-Time Devotions: Have you considered how others would be impactec by hearing you speak about the difference Christ has made in your life? We would love for you to share what God is doing in your live during a half time devotion. Time Commitment: 10 minutes
- Follow Up: Have a passion for writing notes, making phone calls, or visiting with others? Help our league by using those gifts. By volunteering in this way, you will be able to minister to those individuals who have expressed a faith related response anytime during your Upward season. Time Commitment: we pray this is an on-going job throughout our season
- Greeters: Show us your smile! We need you to be a greeter at Upward events. Yes, merely by making yourself available to welcome players, cheerleaders, parents, and other fans to our events you can show the love of Christ and help deliver an excellent sports experience. You can join them in the stands to make them feel welcome. Time Commitment: 1 hour a week
- Scorekeepers: Scorekeepers help run a professional game atmosphere and provide a competitive nature for the games. Upward recommends that score be kept only for 3rd graders and above. Time Commitment: 1-4 hours
- Evaluations and Orientations Volunteers: The first impression that a child has of their Upward season is at evaluations or orientations. Help us make sure it is the most exciting and welcoming experience possible for them. Volunteer to help at our Upward league’s evaluations and orientations. We need volunteers to run stations, teach cheerleaders their first cheer, welcome parents and children, and provide directions. Time Commitment: 2-6 hours in a season
- Concessions: Help our Upward ministry deliver a first-class sports experience by selling concessions at the games. You can impact the lives of parents and children through your hospitality and friendliness. Time Commitment: 1-4 hours a week
- Set-up ad Clean-up Crew: Help us make sure everything is ready for the children to have the best sports experience possible. Volunteer to be part of this crew during the week or on Saturdays. Time Commitment will vary
* Please note that volunteer opportunities and time commitments may vary. Check with your League Director (Bill Anderson, 789-2492) to find out specific details about your church’s league. Click here for information on Upward Basketball 2012 at Faith.